Lagos-Ibadan Rail Line Project is 60% completed – Amaechi
- Written by Super User
The 156 km Lagos-Ibadan rail Line Project embarked upon last year by the Federal Government is now 60% completed.
The Hon. Minister of Transportation, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi stated this on Monday 27th August, 2018 in Papalanto, Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State, immediately after the meeting of the Project Monitoring Steering Committee.
Amaechi reiterated that the project would be delivered to Nigerians by December 2018. He noted that the work is progressing steadily with little challenges that seem to be slowing down the Contractor’s work. “We are progressing and you will agree with us that we are progressing. We were briefed at the meeting on the progress of work which will now improve, now that the rain appears to be abating”.
The Minister disclosed that the Contractors had laid 12 Kilometres of tracks out of the 156 Kilometres and 90% of earthworks have been done. He stated that the slow pace of work was due to the challenges of completion of the earthworks caused by the continuous rainfall in the last two weeks. “They have done 12 kilometres. The argument is that, laying of tracks is not a problem, the problem is earthworks and we hope that the rain will stop so that the earthworks can be completed. Already, 90 percent of earthworks from Iju in Lagos up to Abeokuta in Ogun State have been completed, what is remaining is 10 per cent”.
Rotimi Amaechi while answering questions on the state of Railway Stations of the Lagos-Ibadan rail Project, acknowledged that the stations are his major concern, saying, “If you had been observant, you will see that there are no stations on the way, the Station in Ebute-Meta was recently started. Even if the rail tracks are completed, there can be no commissioning without the completion of the railway stations”.
Speaking further on why the stations are not yet in place, he explained that, “there were relocation problems in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Agbado and Agege in Lagos State and we also had problems with the Community who initially were not ready to contribute more land but now have agreed. So, Contractors are going to move in. In Ebute-Metta, the problem we had was how to move the occupants of the railway properties and all that have been done, now construction work will commence immediately.
The Minister while reassuring on the December completion date, however asked Nigerians to be patient with the Government. “All we are saying is that we are pushing for one year without extension of date to complete the project”. He reiterated that the Administration of President Muhammadu Buhari will deliver on the mandate giving to them by Nigerians.
Yetunde Sonaike (Mrs.)
August 29, 2018.